Menopause is the point in a woman’s life when they stop having their period and it is usually diagnosed 12 months after their last. The menopausal stage most often happens between the ages of 45 and 55. Years before that point, women may have changes in their physical and emotional health which are called perimenopause, or menopausal transition. These symptoms may disrupt their sleep or prevent them from sleeping, lower their energy or negatively affect their daily life. The good news is, that there are many effective treatments available like hormone therapy, lifestyle adjustments, and medications. However, not everyone likes taking their medications because they are afraid of the potential side effects.
The rising awareness of a more holistic approach to health is driving the growth of alternative medicine. One natural alternative that is becoming very popular in the markets is cannabis products. Cannabidiol or CBD is a compound from the cannabis plant known to have anti-inflammatory properties and provide potential benefits, from anxiety relief to treating insomnia, and to helping manage chronic pain, among other things. Unlike Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is also a compound produced by the cannabis plant, CBD does not have psychoactive properties and will not cause any intoxicating effects. This article will tell us more about CBD and whether it can help with menopausal symptoms.
Can CBD help with menopause symptoms?
Yes. CBD may help manage some of the symptoms related to menopause including easing hot flashes, improving bone density, and balancing hormonal changes. However, it is not a cure as menopause is a natural transition in a woman’s life.
The most common symptoms of menopause are:
- irregular periods
- bone density loss
- hot flashes
- joint pain
- weight gain
- night sweats
- mood changes
- dry skin
- hair thinning
CBD oils, balms, creams, and gummies are popular among menopausal women. However, note that there is no specific evidence that CBD can treat all symptoms of menopause. Below are some of the known symptoms that CBD can help with.
Insomnia is a common experience during menopause and may occur as a result of hormonal changes or hot flashes. Some women experience mild or occasional sleep disturbances, but for others, insomnia can be severe and can affect their quality of life.
CBD is known to help with insomnia as it is known to have a sedating effect and may interact with cannabinoid receptors in the brain potentially affecting the sleep/wake cycle. Additionally, CBD is also known to decrease anxiety and pain, which can disrupt a night of restful sleep. Therefore, CBD may help insomnia relating to menopause. However, more research is needed to know how CBD exactly helps improve insomnia.
Anxiety and depression
The changes that are happening in your body during perimenopause and menopause may also cause you to feel anxious or depressed. One of the reasons this happens is that your hormone levels drop quickly, which causes your period to slow down and then stop.
CBD works for anxiety and depression by interacting with serotonin, which is a chemical that plays a role in regulating mood, sleep, digestion, and nausea. People with anxiety and depression have low serotonin. In some cases, not having enough serotonin also causes anxiety.
During your transition to menopause, your hormone levels drop, and it causes a wide range of changes throughout the human body. Many of these changes have direct connections to mood swings. Aside from anxiety, the low levels of estrogen can make you more irritable, stressed, and forgetful, and may cause you to have difficulties concentrating. It can also intensify your feelings of anger, anxiety, and/or depression.
CBD can affect serotonin levels in the same way it could help anxiety and depression. Therefore, it can also help manage mood swings or mood changes that you may feel during this transition. Serotonin is a hormone to stabilises the mood and affects feelings of well-being and happiness which makes it a natural mood stabilizer.
When estrogen levels decrease during menopause, inflammation can happen and may cause joint pain in the knees, shoulders, hands, neck, and elbows. Old injuries in the joints can also begin aching again, leading to menopause-related arthritis.
CBD can help treat joint pain by interacting with the cannabinoid receptors in the immune system. Interacting with these receptors produces an anti-inflammatory effect that reduces swelling and pain.
What type of CBD is best for menopause symptoms?
In choosing CBD oil products for your daily dose of CBD, you have to know the different types of CBD as they contain different concentrations and compounds. The three types of CBD are:
- Full-spectrum CBD. Full-spectrum products contain all the compounds from the cannabis plant as well as trace amounts of THC (0.2%).
- Broad-spectrum CBD. Broad-spectrum CBD contains some of the compounds from the cannabis plant except for THC.
- CBD isolate. CBD isolate contains only CBD.
The right kind of CBD and/or cannabis products for menopause will depend on the symptom that you want to address. CBD products for menopause are available in:
- CBD oils. CBD oil products are usually taken sublingually (under the tongue). If you don’t mind the bitter hemp taste and would want to try the fastest-acting relief, then this form is best. This is a good option if you’re dealing with menopause symptoms such as insomnia and anxiety.
- CBD capsules. CBD capsules are swallowed. They also offer full-body relief, but effects would take a little bit longer to kick in than sublingual products. CBD in capsule form is a good option if you want help in improving your sleep quality.
- CBD topicals. CBD topicals are directly applied to the skin for localized relief. This is the best option if you want to help ease joint pain and soothe dry skin.
- CBD edibles. CBD edibles like gummies are the most popular way to take CBD as they are easy to dose and can mask the bitter taste of hemp. You can try CBD edibles to help with anxiety and insomnia.
CBD Shopy’s top choices
CBD Shopy offers products that would best suit you if you are experiencing these menopausal symptoms. Here our are top 3 recommended products:
- ZenBears CBD Gummies (600mg): broad-spectrum, vegan-friendly, THC free, CO2 extraction method
- Full Spectrum CBD Oil (1000mg): full-spectrum, organic hemp plant, non-GMO, CO2 extraction method
- Hempura Broad-Spectrum Refined CBD Oil (1000mg): broad-spectrum, organic hemp plant, third-party lab tested